Archive for April, 2013

The militant group is angered by the jailing of Henry Okah in South Africa.
There was palpable tension in many parts of the Niger Delta as speculations became rife on Wednesday that a militant group in the region, the Movement for Emancipation of Niger Delta, MEND, could resume attacks in the country on Friday.
Media reports quote MEND as saying in a statement signed by its spokesman, Gbomo Jomo, that it would commence a series of attacks in the country, codenamed “Hurricane Exodus”, at midnight on Friday.
The statement describes the planned attacks as “a direct repercussion of a forged threat letter contrived by the Nigerian and South African governments purporting to have originated from MEND”.
“The attacks will commence 00:00 Hrs, Friday 05, April 2013 and will be sustained until an unreserved apology is offered to MEND and the Nigerian government shows their willingness to dialogue,” Gbomo is reported to have said in the statement.
MEND said the fake threat letter was used as evidence against their leader, Henry Okah, who was sentenced to 24 years imprisonment by a South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Shortly after Justice Neels Claaseen of the South Guateng High Court in South Africa sentenced Henry Okah to 24 years in prison for his
alleged role in the October 1, 2010 bombing incident in Abuja, the group had issued a statement rejecting the sentence.
In the statement signed by “Comrade Azizi,” MEND described the sentence as “the height of injustice to our region and people, which
will be resisted by all means necessary.”
Mr. Okah, as leader of MEND, was found guilty of masterminding the October 1, 2010 bombing in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, and an earlier one in Delta State.

Shem Obafaiye became a popular figure in Nigeria after a famous interview aired on Channels Television.
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, has replaced Shem Obafaiye as the Lagos State Commandant of the outfit.
The Commandant General, Olu Abolurin, made this known during a visit in Lagos at the weekend.
Clement Adesuyi, from the Oyo State Command, takes over from Mr. Obafaiye as the new Commandant.
No reasons were given for Mr. Obafaiye’s removal, barely a year after he was appointed; but observers point at his recent interview in a Channels Television live programme.
Speaking as a guest at the station’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, where he was answering questions on the employment scams in government agencies; Mr. Obafaiye insisted that the NSCDC was not part of the job racketeering.
“I can assure you that in Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, nothing like that is happening,” Mr. Obafaiye said.
However, his problem began when he was asked to state the NSCDC’s website for members of the public who would like to get information about the agency.
“The one (website) that we are going to make use of is going to be made known by my Oga at the top. Yes. I can’t announce one now, and my Oga says it’s another one that we are going to use,” Mr. Obafaiye had said.
After repeated prodding by the programme’s anchors, the former Lagos Commandant capitulated and then delivered what would, arguably, become the most memorable line yet of 2013.
“If you want to know about NSCDC as at now. Ok, http://www.nscdc…. That’s all.”
The interview, compressed into a 1 minute 8 seconds video, went viral on social media, with music DJs spinning off a ‘remix’ of the interview and shirts with the ‘Oga at the top’ insignia’ retailed on online shops.
Afterwards, another story went viral, rumours that Mr. Obafaiye had been suspended following his ‘dismal’ outing at the March 6 interview.
The NSCDC, however, stoutly denied it, with Mr. Abolurin insisting that he had not committed any offense.

Culled from PremiumTimes